Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Hello internet browsers!! My name is Emalee Stephens and I am 19 years old. I was born with a rare genetic condition called Nail Patella Syndrome (NPS) which affected the proper development of my bones and joints, leading to pain and deformities in my legs. I have had 8 reconstructive orthopedic surgeries to fix my left foot and both knees. Including full rebuild of nearly every bone in my left foot and reconstruction to my Achilles' tendon. Lots of work on my right knee including: A scope + open procedure involving: Lateral release (cutting the lateral tendon to release pressure on my patella) medial imbrication (tightening the medial tendons to stabilize patella,) reshaping of jagged misformed knee cap and trochlea and autologous Chondrocyte implantation.. Which we will shorten to ACI (My cartilage cells injected behind patch to regrow damaged cartilage.)
On my left knee I also had a scope + Open procedure to remove displaced cartilage.. As well as plica tissue removal, lateral release, medial imbrication, and ACI to regrow new cartilage... Of course I pray this list down not continue but if it does I know I am strong and equipped by God my father to recover and regain strength. My life has revolved around surgery since I was 11 years old but it does not define me in any way. I was created for bigger and better things and I know God is using my journey to help others and is bringing me into complete healing one day at a time. We just have to go through the process sometimes. So all that being said here is to starting a blog!! I plan to post about the different procedures I have had for anyone who may Google search something along the lines "Recovery from ____ Surgery." I will happily post my experiences and practical advice for you. I alsways feel at peace before surgery if I am prepared. Feel free to comment, share and ask questions that I will try to answer. I also promise my posts will not be this dry and boring .. This was just the introductory post so you know what you're reading.

Many blessings to all who read and thanks for stopping by!
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment